History

 Imo State Polytechnic Umuagwo, Ohaji (formerly Imo State of Agriculture) was established in the year 1978, by the Imo State Government as an arm of the ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, with the responsibility of producing agriculturists of middle level cadre, for the prosecution of the State’s agricultural policies. It now has two campuses at Orlu and Ehime Mbano.

The Polytechnic became an autonomous institution with a governing council under edict No. 11 of 1979 (law).

It metamorphosed to Michael Okpara College of Agriculture and Technology (MOCATECH) Umuagwo in 2005 following the institution of an administrative panel by the Government of Chief (Dr.) Achike Udenwa on March 30th 2004 to review the curricular and the structure of the Polytechnic with a view to improving its operational capabilities. The institution was established to provide courses of study, training and research as well as development of techniques and skills in all branches of agriculture and technology of a standard, leading to the award of National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND). In addition, it provides courses in areas of Pre-ND, Associate certificates and other short courses which are mounted periodically to improve the skills and techniques of agricultural personnel and farmers. It is on record that the institution was the first of Agriculture in Nigeria to have its Programmes accredited by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) in 1983. The institution was finally upgraded to a polytechnic status (Imo State Polytechnic) in 2007 following the signing into law of a bill passed by the Imo State House of Assembly by His Excellency, Executive Governor of Imo State, Chief Ikedi Ohakim. The law known as the Imo State Polytechnic law No. 11 of 2007 amended the Edict No. 11 of 1979 that established the institution as a Monotechnic. Since its establishment, the institution has kept faith with its mandate of training highly skilled manpower for the development of the nation’s Agricultural and Technological sectors. About 60% of our Diplomates are self-employed while the remaining 40% are employed in the various establishments such as Educational institutions, Ministries, Agricultural Development Programme (ADP), Financial Institutions, Oil Companies, Military and Para-military Organizations among others.

The Polytechnic is located on 360 hectares of land, donated by the Umuagwo community in the Ohaji/Egbema/Oguta Local Government Area of Imo State.

It is sited 26 kilometers from the Owerri Capital Territory, on the Owerri-Port Harcourt road.

Imo state Polytechnic is recognized in the comity of Polytechnics in Nigeria, national and international agencies such as NBTE, JAMB, NYSC, Federal scholarship Board and ETF. The polytechnic status of the institution has brought about several structural and physical developments as well as reorganization of courses and the introduction of new academic programmes.